Tuesday, July 20, 2010

38 1/7

The end is finally approaching! I had my last ob appointment this morning before my c-section next week. Everything continues to be fine. I got to sign the consent form, which listed the usual million and a half ways they could maim me and the baby- frankly, the list was so ridiculous, it almost makes it pointless because if you were really worried about all those things, there is no way you could go through with it. But that's out the medico-legal world rolls. I am beyond ready for this baby to be born. I remember my mom telling me a long while back that 9 months is a really long time, I had no idea...

We've had a relatively quiet week since my last posting. I have seen 3 movies in the theater though, that should hold me for the many months/years that I'm sure it will be before I am able to again see a movie in a theater. We have also been exploring the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, which is a very nice paved path along Anchorage's coast. I think it's about 11 miles long, so we've tried starting at various parking spots and walk for about 30 min round trip. It's very pretty, I wish all cities had done as nice of a job of conserving it's coastline for everyone to use!

Along the Coastal Trail, looking back at downtown Anchorage with the tops of the Chugach Mountains peaking through the clouds

Our most exciting day was Saturday, when conveniently the weather was gorgeous. We went to the Fire Island Bakery for breakfast, home of the most delicious scones (they have to be about 25% butter), and brought breakfast to a picnic bench at one of the parking spots along the Coastal Trail. After breakfast, we took a walk. Later that day, we drove up to the Chugach Mountains to the Anchorage Overlook Trail, the same lookout that Marika took Chris and me to on our first day here, way back on May 22. Much less snow on the ground, the mountains were a lot greener, and there were a TON more cars in the parking lot than there was in May.


My mom in front of Flattop Mountin in the Chugach Mountains. If you go back to my 1st blog posting in May, you can see a picture of Chris sitting on this same bench.

Also on Saturday, we took a tour of the maternity ward at Providence Medical Center. My mom and I had very different reactions- she was impressed by how many delivery rooms there were, while I thought it seemed so small! But I am a bit biased, since my delivery room rotation as a pediatric resident was at Brigham and Women's Hospital, which I believe has the 2nd highest number of deliveries of any hospital in the country. But regardless of the number, it seemed very nice. They also gave me a booklet of all the various birthing and child care classes that they have. They have the typical classes that you would expect at any hospital, plus 2 that I am pretty certain you wouldn't see in Boston: Babes in the Snow ("designed to empower parents of infants and tots with the tools and confidence they need to embrace winter with their little ones") and Babes in the Woods: Hiking/Backpacking ("how to stay safe, sane, dry, and relatively bug free on the trails of Alaska's backcountry"). There were several other pregnant women on this tour, and it surprised me that quite a few of them who aren't due for weeks/months looked more pregnant that I do. While I feel a big as a house (and you can see this latest profile picture of me below), I guess I'm still not as large as I potentially could be. This is not something that concerns me though, because all my ultrasounds have confirmed that this baby will likely be on the large side (and given Chris and my heights, what else would you expect?), and certainly is appropriately developed for age.

The most recent of the many profile pictures my mom has insisted on taking, much to my chagrin.

The weather hasn't been very nice the last few days, so we haven't done much since then. Tomorrow, we will likely be having breakfast with the husband of my mom's best friend from when she grew up, who is arriving in Anchorage late tonight for a fishing trip. Then tomorrow night, Marika's parents are in town so we'll be getting together for them with dinner. It should be fun to see new people! Nothing big planned for Thurs or Fri, but on Sat, Chris, my dad, and step-mother all arrive. I'm just crossing all my fingers and toes that I don't go into labor before then. Their flight gets in at 2:18 pm, and frankly I'd be thrilled if I went into labor at 2:19 pm, but hopefully not before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment